The Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection will conduct five public hearings in March and April to gather comments on proposed changes to the state’s soil and water resource management regulations. ATCP 50 is being revised primarily to implement farm runoff standards adopted by the Department of Natural Resources in 2011. These standards require farmers to improve pasture management, maintain a tillage setback, control discharges of process wastewater, and meet nutrient management targets. State law requires DATCP to develop conservation practices to implement performance standards for farms.
This is the hearing schedule:
- Eau Claire – Tuesday, March 26, 2:30-4:30 p.m. and 6-8 p.m., Washington Town Hall, 5750 Old Town Hall Road
- Appleton – Wednesday, March 27, 2:30-4:30 p.m. and 6-8 p.m., Outagamie County Highway Department, conference room, 1313 Holland Road
- Tomahawk – Thursday, March 28, 2:30-4:30 p.m. and 6-8 p.m., Rodeway Inn & Suites, 1738 Comfort Drive
- Platteville – Wednesday, April 3, 2:30-4:30 p.m. and 6-8 p.m., University of Wisconsin-Platteville, Bjarne Ullsvik Hall South, 1 University Plaza (corner of South Hickory and Main streets)
- Madison – Thursday, April 4, 2:30-4:30 p.m. and 6-8 p.m., State Agriculture Building, board room 106, 2811 Agriculture Drive
A copy of the proposed rule is available at http://datcp.wi.gov/. Participants may submit oral or written comments at the hearing. Written comments will be accepted through April 30 by:
- Mail addressed to Lisa Schultz, DATCP-DARM, P.O. Box 8911, Madison, WI 53718-8911
- Email addressed to email@example.com
- Submitting them online at https://health.wisconsin.gov/admrules/public/Home- search for ATCP 50 and choose the version “under promulgation.”
Rule revisions also cover cost sharing for best management practices, conservation compliance to participate in the Farmland Preservation Program, and certification of practitioners who perform conservation engineering work.
© Copyright 2013 Brownfield, All rights Reserved. Written For: Brownfield