Many counties now eligible for CRP haying and grazing

A Farm Service Agency specialist says more farmers are eligible for emergency haying and grazing of Conservation Reserve Program acres because of widespread drought. 

John Palmer with Wisconsin FSA tells Brownfield CRP participants can hay or graze the land without a payment reduction and, “If that CRP participant doesn’t farm otherwise, they could sell those rights for haying and grazing to a producer in need.”

Palmer says landowners will need to reach out to the local FSA office and file a request to hay and graze the acreage. “They’ll have to identify on a map the portion of the acreage that they want to hay and graze, and then FSA has to work with our counterparts to come up with a modified conservation plan, and all of that needs to be approved before the haying and grazing could start.” Palmer tells Brownfield the agencies are working to expedite that approval process.

Palmer says any U.S. county that reaches the D-2 status from the U.S. Drought Monitor is eligible for emergency haying and grazing on CRP lands.  He says several disaster programs and loan options are available, and farmers should contact their local FSA office to see which ones they qualify for.

Add Comment

Your email address will not be published.


Stay Up to Date

Subscribe for our newsletter today and receive relevant news straight to your inbox!