More dairy cows and replacements

USDA’s National Ag Statistic Service reports there were 9.3 million dairy cows in the United States on January 1st, up 1 percent from a year ago.  Replacement heifers were up 1 percent at 4.6 million head with nearly 3 million expected to calve within the year. California started the year with 1.78 million dairy cows,… Read more »

Cautious optimism in dairy

Futures Markets copy

Things continue to nudge higher in the dairy markets. Cash cheese barrels increased 2 cents on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange on Tuesday.  Blocks gained a half-cent, butter increased a nickel and nonfat dry milk gained a penny.  Class III futures were a little lower for some of the near months but July through December, 2015… Read more »

Missouri Ag Bill advances

State Legislature

The Missouri Senate Agriculture committee has advanced a broad reaching agriculture bill this week. Committee chair Brian Munzlinger says it contains the important dairy provision to help grow the state’s dairy industry but does not contain the deer provision – the reason for Governor Jay Nixon’s veto of the bill last year, “I hope that… Read more »

U.S. milk production up for the month, quarter and year

Milk production in the U.S. in December totaled 17.3 billion pounds up 3.1 percent compared to December of 2013. The nation’s dairy herd was at 9.3 million cows up 100,000 head from a year ago.  Production per cow averaged 1,862 pounds, a 37-pound increase over December of 2013. Milk production in the 23 major dairy… Read more »

DeVelder and Meshke to lead AMPI

The Board of Directors of Associated Milk Producers Incorporated (AMPI) has decided to make the “acting” co-presidents permanent. Long-time senior executive vice-presidents Donn DeVelder and Sheryl Meshke were named acting co-presidents and CEOs in December when Ed Welsh resigned. DeVelder has been with the co-op 30 years and Meshke 25. Board chair Steve Schlangen says… Read more »

U.S. ag “needs” TPA

Top Story

A U.S. member of a trade advisory committee for the Trans Atlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP) says Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) would greatly help those trade talks with the European Union – and – other trade deals. Gina Tumbarello, Director of International Trade Policy with the American Feed Industry Association, tells Brownfield it would… Read more »

Dairy markets quiet to start the week

Futures Markets copy

A relatively quiet day in the dairy markets on Tuesday. Cash cheese barrels declined a half-cent while blocks gained a half-cent.  Butter was steady and nonfat dry milk increased a half-cent.  Class III futures from February through May were a little higher while June through November contracts were a little lower. The semi-monthly Global Dairy… Read more »

The push for more organic milk producers

Top Story

  Packaged fluid milk sales in November totaled 4.2 billion pounds down 6 percent from November of 2013. Conventional milk sales were down 6.5 percent while organic milk sales were up 4.2 percent in November compared to a year ago. Total organic milk product sales in October were 215 million pounds up 10.7 percent from… Read more »

CWT assists in cheese and butter sales

Cooperatives Working Together (CWT) has accepted 13 requests for export assistance from Dairy Farmers of America, Maryland & Virginia Milk Producers Cooperative, Northwest Dairy Association (Darigold), Upstate-Niagara/O-AT-KA, and Tillamook County Creamery Association to sell 815,270 pounds of Cheddar cheese and 1.797 million pounds of 82% butter to customers in Asia, Europe, the Middle East and… Read more »

Dairy down for the week

Futures Markets copy

Cash cheese barrels slipped a penny on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange on Friday. Blocks, butter and nonfat dry milk were unchanged.  Class III futures through March were a few cents lower, April through July contracts increased a little and the rest of 2015 was mixed. For the week: cash cheese barrels lost 9.5 cents, blocks… Read more »