Show Notes, Cab Conversations: Get Growing No. 7
Brownfield’s spring series of Cab Conversations returns for the 7th episode of Get Growing. Joining Indiana Farm Director Meghan Grebner today are:
- Judi Graff of Middleton, Illinois
- Adam Casner of Carrollton, Missouri
- Zach Hunnicutt of Aurora Nebraska
- David Lowe of Dunkirk, Indiana
- Allen Ett of Ashville, Ohio
During the show, guests gave a brief update about planting and weather. They also discussed signing of the Water Resources Reform and Development Act (WRRDA), side-dressing, and bugs.
Weather and Planting Progress
- Zach Hunnicut talks about progress around the corn belt.
- Judy Graff gives her perspective from central Illinois.
- David Lowe shares the impact of “extremely wet” conditions in east central Indiana.
- Allen Ett has an update from central Ohio.
- Adam Casner in western Missouri talks about the positive progress he’s seeing with corn.
- The group responds to the question of whether a lack of rain now will be a concern down the road, for those who missed the recent downpours.
- Zach shares how the dry winter made up for a wet fall.
- The group talks about the potential need for switching maturities and replanting.
- The group discusses pest issues and what they’re seeing in their fields.
- Discussion of improvements to waterways under WRRDA
- Reaction to water system legislation that passed
- What is basis?
- Allen asks Zach about the impact of the previous week’s hail storms.
- Zach asks the group how many days without rain makes them start to worry.
- Dave asks the group about population goals.
- Allen asks the group about the row width they plant.
- Adam asks what the others are using to top while side dressing.