The Ohio field office of the National Ag Statistics Service (NASS) reports both corn and soybean harvest is 8 percent complete.
Corn harvest is 7 points ahead of last year and 2 points ahead of the 5-year average. 61 percent of the crop is mature. As of Sunday, 54 percent of the corn crop was in poor to very poor condition, 45 percent of the crop was rated fair-to-good.
Soybean harvest is one point ahead of the 5-year average pace. 73 percent of the crop is dropping leaves, 8 points ahead of average. 27 percent of the crop is in poor to very poor condition, 67 percent of the crop rated fair-to-good.
53 percent of pastures in the state are in poor to very poor condition, while 44 percent are rated fair-to good.
3 percent of the winter wheat crop has been planted, on pace with the 5-year average.
Top soil moisture rated 56 percent short to very short, 43 percent is called adequate, just one percent is rated as surplus.
Other Ohio crops:
Alfalfa hay, fourth cutting is 71 percent complete, compared to the 5-year average of 59 percent.
Fall and winter apple harvest is 45 percent complete, seven points ahead of average.
Potato harvest is 85 percent complete, 72 percent is the 5-year average.
Processing tomato harvest is at 85 percent, 68 percent is the 5-year average pace.
For the week ending Sunday, September 23, the average temperature was 58.5 degrees, 3.7 degrees below normal. Precipitation averged 1.28 inches, .57 inches above normal.