Outside of some clean-up in Nebraska at $195 to $196 on the Dressed basis, the major direct cash cattle markets are pretty quiet Friday. Thursday’s trade was moderate in the South, mostly at $122 Live, up $1 on the week, while activity in the North was moderate to active at mainly at $195 to $196 with a few as high as $197, steady to $1 higher. Around 18,000 head traded in Kansas, close to 14,000 moved in Texas, and Nebraska movement was roughly 35,000 head.
At the Ogallala, Nebraska Livestock Auction, feeder cattle receipts were 4,950 head, with no comparison to last week due to no feeder sale. Steers made up 33% of the offering and heifers accounted for the remaining 67%, and weights over 600 pounds made up 85% of the total cattle offered. Demand was called good for their Barbecue Special. For feeder steers, 600 to 700 pounders ranged from $166 to $175, with the 700 to 800 pound category at $156 to $167.10, and the 825 to 900 pound range at $148 to $158.35. 600 to 700 pound heifers sold from $146.25 to $164, 700 to 800 pounders sold at $140 to $155.50, and 800 to 900 pound heifers sold at $133 to $144.50.
Boxed beef cutout values at midday were weak to sharply lower. Choice was down $.16 at $197.26 and Select was $1.60 lower at $182.71.
Butcher hogs at the terminal markets are steady to $1 higher Friday with most tops at $57 to $59. Even with extremely limited Saturday slaughter plans, packers want to ensure they’ve got the needed numbers to start off next week. Dow Jones Newswires reports enough plants are short bought that some loads have been brought forward by a day or more and buyers have had a hard time getting replacement numbers. In any event, market ready numbers are getting tighter and processing margins remain poor.
The Eastern Cornbelt opened $1.26 higher on the carcass basis with the weighted average at $87.56, while on a much lighter run, the Western Belt is $5.63 lower at $86.32. Iowa/Southern Minnesota reported an even lighter run and was not reported due to confidentiality. The Missouri Direct base carcass meat price was steady at $84 to $85 with sows unchanged at $42 to $51. Illinois Direct sows are steady at $42 to $49.
Carlot pork trade at midday was very slow with light to moderate demand and offerings. Fresh cuts and trimmings were not fully established.